29 May 2010

a day in the life

^ It's a good Beatles song, check it out. ^

Last night I ended high school. At five o' clock this morning, I arrived home from my very last school-sponsored activity of my whole public/mandatory/childhood/parentally-dependent education.

Hmmm... I take issue with my own word choice. 'Public' is fine I guess, though far from fitting... I think all of life includes 'mandatory' education. My 'childhood' is nowhere near concluded. I'm still 'parentally-dependent' right now, and I will be still when formal 'education' resumes in the fall. (Dorms are so expensive!)

Education is not my point.
So I'll get back to getting to it.

The graduation milestone is littered with comments like "Here comes the real world," or "Now it's time for real life," or "You're starting a new chapter of your life," or "You're not a kid anymore," et cetera.

The Real stuff. I guess that all 18 years and 5 months haven't been life, they've been... I don't know. Surreal life? In the imaginary world?

Well the Real World was anxious to meet me I suppose. Today gave me a brand new list of experiences-- fingers I would have to put down if someone brought these up while playing I Have Never.

  • I got home past 5 am.
  • I signed legal documents without being called a "minor".
  • I had a breathalyzer test.
  • I had a medical professional inform me that I was not drunk.
  • I gave a urine sample.
  • I signed a form for tax purposes.
  • I listened to traffic reports on the radio... By choice... For my own benefit.

There are more that I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

To dispel any worry, I was not in trouble. Most of the new experiences were donated by participation in a medical study.

If this is day one of Real Life, I nervously look forward to the days to come.
Real Life.
Life in general is a terrifying thing. I think that's why it has the potential to be beautiful. It demands reflection, consideration, and practice. It requires spontaneity, leaps of faith, and new experiences. It's fragile. It's resilient.......

It's life. It happens. Hopefully life doesn't happen at you, or to you, but with you, or for you. ... I guess best of all would be if your life happened because of you.

... Hmm....

It's late. I need to put these thoughts to bed.
Goodnight.
Josefina

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Josefina, I love your thoughts. Why have I started calling you Josefina lately? Oh well. It's fitting.

    Anyhow, the point of my words are that I agree about life. And that I was very interested at the experience that allowed you to do things such as breathalyzer tests...and was hoping you were all right and was reassured later on.

    And, BOY, if the past 18-odd years haven't been living...Life is gonna be a BLAST!!!!!! :)

    Love, Me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ? Is there something you need to tell me about that bullet list?? :) You write so well, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete