14 February 2009

It's Been Longer than I Meant...

It's honey and love day!

...or it was when I started writing this...

At school (on the thirteenth), it was a big deal. Firstly, we didn't have to wear our uniforms. Secondly, they ordered us all lunches from a place called "N. Y. Flying Pizza." Our class voted to get the chicken hamburger (I voted for res, but pollo won.) So we had lunch at school, which we never do. But, when I got there, there were a bunch of people going around putting up decorations everywhere (really,) and the desks had been resetup so that there was room in the middle of the classroom for whatever. The decorations were really excellent. People here know how to decorate. Anyway, they had me write on one of the hearts in English. Then later they had me write the same thing in Spanish on a different heart. Also, while decorations were being put up, a crowd gathered around me and asked me to sing a song in English. So eventually they got me to sing the U.S. National Anthem. Not exactly a normal day... Anway, after the decorations, the teacher we have most (for anatomy, biology, chemistry, medicen, clinica and probably others) had us watch a few sentimental slide-shows. Then we started playing games. The teacher put all the boys names in one bag, and all the girls names in another. And then he pulled out names of who had to do what for the games. But before we played, the boy had to wish the girl a happy day, and give her a hug. So, of course, I my name was drawn. Last, when I thought I was safe. Nope. But it wasn't bad... And we didn't loose.

*Quick side note: Everyone in my class is 14, or maybe 15. I'm at least two years older than every one.

And we're back: After that was the gift exchange. One person got up, said stuff, said what name she had drawn (earlier in the week), and gave that person a gift. Then that person did the same thing, etc. A boy had my name. He comes in later, so don't forget. He gave me the gift, and like everyone was doing, I didn't open it. One thing I love about gift giving here is that they don't want you to know who it's from, ('cept in this case...) they don't include tags, and bring the gifts in black bags, so you can't even identify it by the kind of wrapping paper. And they make their own bows. Awesome bows. Anyway, then I gave my gift. And all I said was "buenos días," and the name of the girl to whom I was giving a gift. Then I sat.

Later, our literature teacher came in, who had assigned us all to write a letter to another person in the class, also by the popular draw-a-name system. She quickly graded them, and had us give them out. I had a very kind girl named Delfina. She's a tipica, (native,) and she came to school in her typical skirt, etc. It was really cool looking, with a ribbon or something woven into it. Pretty. Anyway, my letter came from a very sweet girl named Láudima. The general gist was that God watches me, and stuff like that. It was very sweet. Speaking of which, I love how often God, etc. is just mentioned in passing, or to explain part of the lesson, or something. Every one is Christian here. It's so different. Anyway, after school, the boy that gave me a gift asked me if I would give him permission to walk me home. They ask for permission for everything here. When he walked me home, he asked me if I would go to the soccer game with him the next day. I told him that I would probably be at my Aunt Amalia's house for lunch, so he asked me for permission to come look for me. I gave it to him, but I was eating at Amalia's until 2:45. Which I'm kinda grateful for. I'm all for giving everyone a chance and stuff, but he's a fourteen year old kid in my class that I've close to never spoken to. Maybe I'm just not embracing the culture well enough. (I'm fine being a foreigner, if that's what going native would include.) Anyway, this post is already longer than I meant it to be, and much later than I would have liked.

There it is, even if it is late.
Josie

2 comments:

  1. How cute! A little crush. :) That was really fun to read. It's great to learn more about other cultures, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW Precious. I like how polite they are! we need a culture like that here.
    Miss You.
    Literally seriously Josie I ahve started to count the days till you return... am I crazy?

    ReplyDelete